HOW TO MAKE A PALEO CHOCOLATE CAKE
Since I started posting healthy, fat-burning recipes that are paleo inspired, cooks around the US (mainly!) but also around the world have been asking for a Paleo Chocolate Cake recipe.
Now, this below IS a Paleo Chocolate Cake recipe. However, it’s just not any Paleo Chocolate Cake recipe.
Every so often, my chef husband finds a recipe that is just so unbelievable that it has EVERYTHING. And by everything, here is what I mean:
- It contains chocolate (Right?)
- It’s delicious.
- It’s very healthy and fat-burning.
- It takes 5 minutes to make! (can you say “I got this!” LOL)
- It contains no flour, but has a lot of fiber and vitamins.
- It’s gluten-free and paleo.
- It’s kid-friendly (trust me, they’ll never know).
E-VERY-THING. Now, it does contain a very interesting secret ingredient that I reveal in the video below.
Now, let’s get started. Here are the ingredients you’ll need. Please note that everything is paleo, and the chocolate is over 70% cocoa. That’s important, as I explain in the recipe video. You see, you want to make sure the chocolate contains the maximum of cocoa, and not much sugar, or cocoa butter. Hence the 70%. If you can stand more (it does get more bitter), go for the 85% cocoa or even the 90% cocoa.
And yes, the secret ingredient is zucchini. Sure, zucchini breads are well-known, especially among the paleo crowd. However, mixed with chocolate, zucchini acts as a “filler” and gives its body to the cake. Don’t worry, you can’t taste it or smell it, and you can barely see it. Your kids won’t even know it’s there. They focus on chocolate, being kids.
So first step, I chop the dark chocolate and I grate the zucchini. People ask me the exact precise size of the zucchini but really, it doesn’t matter. Trust me, I’ve made it with small, medium, and large, and it’s all just fine the way it turns out. Don’t sweat it.
Pour this into a mixing bowl, and just add all ingredients together. Yeah, that’s a 2-minute dump deal. Just the way I like my family recipes. LOL just kidding (No, really, I’m not.).
First the zucchini.
Then the peanut butter, eggs, chocolate, and everything else.
When that is done, mix it well. Sure the mix will not be uniform. The almond butter and chocolate will chunk a bit, but that’s completely ok.
Then the rest is pretty much history. Fill up a cake pan that you would have previously greased, dump in the oven for about 45 minutes. Make sure you poke the cake with a knife to see if it’s baked properly. It’s supposed to come out clean (maybe a bit of moisture or chocolate. That’s ok). That’s your test.
And then Voila…
It’s important to let the cake sit for about one hour. I love it when it’s steaming hot. My kids like it warm. My husband prefers it chilled overnight. A question of taste.
Here is the recipe below. You will see how easy it is to make. Please do me a big favor and click on the YUM and SAVE button so that Yummly and Pinterest spread this recipe like a wildfire. It’s deserving.
And of course let me know how you love it. Thanks.
Paleo Chocolate Cake RECIPE
The healthiest, tastiest chocolate cake out there.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Servings: 8 Servings
Author: Dr. Carissa Alinat
- 3 in small zucchini shredded a food processor
- 1 cup of 70-85% dark chocolate broken into small pieces
- 1/3 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of almond butter
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush coconut oil inside an 8-inch round cake pan (about 2 inches deeto grease the pan. You can also cut a round parchment paper to line the bottom of the cake pan.
2. Combine all remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour the zucchini and chocolate mixture into the greased cake pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven, and rest the cake for one hour. Serve warm or cold.